Friday, January 29, 2010

Time Change

Just moved into my room here at Broadgate Park in Nottingham, England. The room I am staying in is a single in a suite that I share with 4 or 5 other people. I talked to one of the girls across the hall upon arrival and found out that the suite is filled with Americans and maybe one guy from Finland. Tried going to sleep but realized that I wasn’t tired; my sinuses were just really irritated. This could be my body’s reaction to the pressure changes that I went through while flying but I can’t be too sure. Fiddled with the knobs on the heater and figured out how to turn it on. This is great because at the moment I have no real bedding. Earlier when I was taking a nap I improvised by using a towel, a thin blanket I decided to pack last minute, and a few hoodies.

This morning I woke up at 5 am in Boston. I was staying with my friend Ross who goes to Emerson. The T station opens at 5:30 so I got there as soon as I could. Probably could have slept another hour because the subway cars were few and far between. It wasn’t until 6:45 that I arrived at the international terminal at Logan. Lucky for me there weren’t any lines for anything (except for Starbucks!) so I was able to go through security and baggage check with ease.

The plane ride itself was kind of relaxing. Vegetable lasagna and the movie Paper Heart (which was alright). I had a whole aisle to myself since there weren’t a lot of people on the flight. It was the first time I ever used those complimentary face masks that they give you. Boy, would it be terrible if you were allergic to the fabric that is made from.

I was picked up by a guy named Kevin that owns his owns the “Posh-Car: Chauffeured Executive Travel Service”. He seemed a little stiff at first and we didn’t get to much small talk. I asked him what kind of music he listened to and he said that he mostly listened to traffic reports. After a while he ended up talking about the stuff he was interested in. On his vacation time he goes to Kenya with his buddies to go sport fishing. He said the best time to go is December and January. I couldn’t imagine reeling in a 200 pound marlin. Kevin said it’s quite a rush.

Apparently there is a lot of money in chauffeuring weddings (if you own a suite and a Mitsubishi E Class). For two hours worth of work he can make $300 to $400.

I’ve got to try to get to sleep sometime soon. It’s 1:43 am in England, 8:43 pm in New England. I want my 5 hours back!

Speak easy,

Neil

2 comments:

Cynthia Sherrick said...

Have a wonderful time in England, Neil!! I went over to Europe when I was exactly your age. :) I spent a year traveling with a professional acting company. We were six months in England, Scotland, Ireland, & Northern Ireland and the rest of the time in Germany, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, Amazing time. :)

Take care.

Love, Aunt Cindy

d3vin said...

Glad you made it safely,
and I'm going to try as hard as I can to come down and see you.
(I really wanna go!)