Sunday, April 18, 2010

Films and Iceland

Iceland is proving to be as stubborn as ever and will not let up with the smoke and ash. I am pushing back my travels to mainland Europe until Saturday (hopefully). For the last few days I have been going to movies and visiting local coffee shops to get some writing done (reached 14,000 words this evening on the project I am currently working on. I'm really liking it too).

Some of the films I've gone to and what I thought of them...

Remember Me: Not that great. I was expecting more from something from the guy who directed The Sopranos. Kind of a crappy script. Sad ending that didn't really make the story or message any better, just really sad. Rob Pattinson wasn't too bad though. Just wish he would pick some better films to do.

Dear John: Never have I seen a more bland protagonist. It made me wish I was watching the Notebook. I didn't really like the messages here either. They were basically 1) if you are a bad boy, joining the army will fix you and make you a decent human being and 2) if you are head over heals in love with someone you should do as much for them as you can for them even if they don't treat you very well. How about living your own life and not meddling too much in other people's private affairs? I felt kind of bad for Nicholas Sparks after watching this one.

How To Train Your Dragon: So good. I would recommend this to anyone, old or young. Same writer director as Lilo & Stitch, one of my all time favorite animated films. Good, relatable characters. Some awesome visuals too. Lot's of great comedic actors in here too. I usually hate Dreamworks animated films but with a 98% rating at Rotten Tomatoes you can't go wrong. As good, I'd say, as anything Pixar is making these days, which is saying a lot.

Speak easy,
Neil

No comments: