Friday, November 14, 2008

Water for Words



My name is Neil and I am an English student at the University of Massachusetts. I am currently drinking fresh coffee well into a Friday night. I was supposed to go home for the weekend to do laundry and meet Puff. Puff is the cat that my family adopted immediately after I left for school. She has replaced me and is probably wearing my old clothes, watching my television, and painting the walls of my room as I type this. Because of problems with time and space I am in my dorm room this weekend.

The title of this blog is the title of a chapter of the Nathanael West book, Miss Lonelyhearts. It is really good and I am going to write some sort of thesis paper on it before the semester is up.
For some reason I find it incredibly difficult to name things that are not completely self contained. Bands and blogs and projects. Songs, on the other hand, are usually fairly easy to name...as well as pets (charlie, jameson, keifer, and jeff are all good names). I have a theory that the older you get, the weirder your pet's names should be. For instance a guy like myself would not go wrong naming his dog "Mike", while an elderly person should totally name their dog "Little Stallion". It just makes sense.


Okay, so I was skimming my bookshelf and class notes looking for something that would resemble a good blog name and my eyes fall on 'The Brief Penguin Handbook'. My mind, being the way it is, processed this bit of sense-data as 'The Brief Penguin Handjob'. My roommate, Lev, insists that this is some sort of Freudian slip. The title just raises so many questions. Like "Why?" or "How?" or "Brief?".

Since my life plan seems to change just about every week I thought I would track the evolution of my future...if that makes sense. Right now I am learning French and aspire to become a "Teaching English as a Second Language" professor in Paris.

Stay hydrated,
Neil

P.S
I really do listen to a lot of music on a daily basis and enjoy making themed playslists. With each post I am going to try and compile a new (fun!) playlist. Hopefully this will force me to explore the previously unearthed regions of my iPod. 26 gigs and I listen to the same 3 songs over and over again.

Todays Playlist:
Flux Capacitor (or songs with years in the title)

1. The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
2. Yeasayer - 2080 (All Hour Cymbals)
3. Peter Bjorn & John - Paris 2004 (Writer's Block)
4. Architecture In Helsinki - Spring 2008 (Fingers Crossed)
5. The Olivia Tremor Control - Memories of Jacqueline 1906 (Music From the Unrealized...)
6. The Elected - 7 Septermber 2003 (Me First)
7. Los Campesinos! - 2007, The Year Punk Broke My Heart (Hold On Now, Youngster)
8. Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945
9. The Unicorns - 2014 (2014 Single)
10. Gorillaz - 19-2000 (Gorillaz)
11. The Hives - Inspection Wise 1999 (Veni Vidi Vicious)

And for those with a more eclectic taste...

12. The Robot Ate Me - Oh No! Oh My! 1994 (On Vacation Vol. I)
13. The Fiery Furnaces - 1917 (Blueberry Boat)

*If you have any recommendations that might fit into this playlist let me know*

2 comments:

Selina said...

Hey Neil! I do like the idea of people naming their pets more ridiculous names as they get older. For instance, I named my cat Rocky, then as I got older I added on more names until his final name was: Rocky Horror Selina Marie Souza Anakin Malfoy Skywalker.

Also- as for the title of your blog, have you ever seen Rear Window by Hitchcock?? There is a character in it named Miss Lonelyhearts. I'm not sure if that was before or after the book that you got it out of, but I thought it was interesting anyway!

Eunice said...




My name is Eunice from Canada

I am a lady with a baby boy of 4 years that was abandoned by my husband called frank i loved my family so much that i thought this will never happen to me and my baby i tried my best to be a caring and loving wife and mother to my family and also manage my time as a worker, until a intruder turned my joy to pains who took my husband from me in six months, i was in a beauty saloon when i met a lady we got talking and i told her my problems and she made all my pains turn into joy when she introduced me to a black magic doctor called Dr NICE he has been of help to many people bring back your lost love, he can put a smile on your face if you believe and trust him all you have to do is to follow his instructions and all your problems will be solved .you can contact him on this email (professionallovespell@hotmail.com) THANKS YOU ONCE AGAIN DR NICE Mrs Eunice from Canada