Saturday, June 6, 2009

"There were always golden rocks to throw."


Today was my friend Ross Lippman's graduation ceremony. Going back to my old High School didn't seem out of place and I didn't really think much of it at the time but reflecting back on it now, it seems strange that I went to that building almost every day for six years and have only been back a handful of times within the last four years.

There were four graduation speeches. One of the speeches quoted One Tree Hill (a popular prime time teen soap opera), while another quoted Fight Club. The student's didn't seem to have very interesting things to say and spoke far too much about how a speech should be instead of talking about anything thought provoking (for example "When I started writing my speech for today I was thinking about how you're supposed to start a speech..."). Maria Stephanos from the nightly Fox 25 newscast was the guest speaker. She was very nice and a little smarter than I thought she would be. Before going to Emerson to get her masters in communications, she went to UMass Amherst.

I came upon something funny when I was fact checking Maria Stephanos for my blog. Google has a smart search feature that immediately reveals the most popular searches.

It looks like people are generally interested in Maria's legs, something I completely overlooked because she was behind a podium the whole time.

_______________

(Ross asked if he could do a guest blog in honor of his graduation day...take it away Ross!)

Thanks Neil. It's great to make a special drop-by at Miss Lonely Hearts. I must say, blogging is not my specialty, but I'll give it a shot. I've always been the youngest of my group of friends, and they have all been out of high school for quite some time, and now so am I. A part of me feels as if now I have lost my originality, my identity. But then again a lot of other things have happened to make me feel like I don't know who I am anymore. I wonder if I did all i could, I wonder if I did the best I could. Time has passed by now so I guess all I can do is work for the future. Should be interesting to see what is ahead for me. And for the record, Milk Thistle is not the best song on "Cassadaga" I'll leave you to rebuttal.
_______________


This is Zeus the dog. He was hanging out with us for most of the afternoon. Most of the time he reminds me of a cat, which makes him one of my favorite dogs ever.

Speak easy,
Neil

No comments: