Sunday, April 5, 2009

An Evening With David Sedaris

This evening I went to see David Sedaris speak at the Fine Arts Center. Most of the people that showed up were middle aged people, the kind who own much more technologically advanced cell phones than I do. For anyone who is unfamiliar with David Sedaris, in short he is a gay guy who writes short non-fiction stories about his life and his family. He is fairly popular, lives in Europe right now, and sounds like a grandma (or Truman Capote).

Some noteworthy things I got out of the performance...

- The Italians have a word meaning "sex one has in a car". The Germans have a word meaning "Appears tall when sitting down and short when standing up". There is also a word they use which means "this is the person I am with today, as the person I am now".

- He stated that voting on a gay marriage bill is comparable to voting on whether or not Mexicans should have the right to celebrate Christmas.

- France thought that America was too racist to elect a black president. Sedaris said that this may be true, but that doesn't mean that half of America won't elect a half black president.

Before Sedaris went on, I heard the man behind me talking about using steroids to treat illnesses. He said that when one is on steroids, they don't experience pain, but the pain is there. But is pain still there if you don't feel it. If a tree falls in the forest and that tree falls on a man's leg and that man takes medicinal steroids in order to curb the pain and then he no longer feels pain and someone tells him that "pain is an experience and if one does not experience that pain then it does not exist, therefore there is no pain", would the argument he makes be sound? Not sure if that last sentence worked/made sense but I am coffeed and have too much work to do to check if my thoughts/writing prove to be coherent.


This is a picture that one of my friends posted of me recently on Facebook. It is from my senior year of high school. I think this might be the only picture I've seen of me with this specific haircut (or lack thereof) that I like.

Speak easy,
Neil

2 comments:

kat(hryn) said...

It's a good shirt combo. I remember when you looked like this. I don't remember how I felt about that haircut. I don't think I minded it, but it looks a lot different from now so it seems strange. People make silly faces when playing music.



-shyseroo
sec. code

Anonymous said...

I saw David Sedaris other night too and have been trying to find his essay on America being too racist to elect a black president ever since. it was hilarious. do you know the title?