Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Already Heard

Right now I am in the throes of a paper I am writing on a book that I neglected to read (Catharine Maria Sedgwick's "Hope Leslie") on a topic that I know very little about (Native American women in the 17th century). Considering, the paper is actually fairly easy to write. Instead of not blogging, I decided to just post some exerts of stuff that I have sent to my friends within the last 24 hours. Most of it is stuff I probably would have blogged about anyway.

Message from Neil Johnson to Andrew Lippman:

I have actually been compiling a list of "must have records" for the last few days. It started out as a 25 favorite albums list (which, after thinking about it, is probably the same thing). Unfortunately about half of the ones I want are either nonexistent (for example, Ben Folds' Rockin' the Suburbs) or far too much money (Brand New's Deja Entendu*).

*Which I believe is French for "Already Heard".

To name a few that are both essential and affordable:

~ Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
~ The Postal Service - Give Up
~ Bright Eyes - Lifted + I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
~ The Arcade Fire - Funeral
~ Regina Spector - Soviet Kitsch
~ The Decemberists - Crane Wife + Picaresque
~ Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
~ Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary

I am thinking of buying one for each pay check that I get from now to infinity, as to build a collection over time. At the moment I have a pretty modest library.


Message from Neil Johnson to Katie Hakala:

After Lev and I went to Boyden today, we stopped by Berkshire. One of the flat screen TVs that I just happened to be glancing was tuned to ESPN. They were showing footage of Amir running around a basketball court.



I watched it this morning so I wasn't too surprised that they were covering it on a news network. It just made me happy to see Amir getting some attention. He deserves it.

Speak easy,
Neil

No comments: