Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tiens ferme.

This morning I felt compelled to look up the 1975 children's film Rikki-Tikki-Tavi on Youtube. It is something that I watched over and over again as a kid. Before watching the film I had remembered very little, harnessing only a few blurry images in my head of the darker portions of the movie. These, I suppose, would be the points in the film of intensity or where the audience experiences heightened emotion. The times that you recall most vividly, I've noticed, are the times when your heart beat elevates. For me, that would be the part of the film where the mongoose fights off a black cobra. It's pretty great. Plus, the cartoon is animated by Chuck Jones, the guy that did How The Grinch Stole Christmas, something I'm sure everyone is aware of.

There are two other ones that I remember watching as a little kid, ones that I thought were weird at the time and ones that still strike me as pretty odd. These would be The Night Kitchen (strange story of a midnight snack land written by Maurice Sendak which contains some very odd symbolism) and the animated retelling of the old African legend of Anansy The Spider Man. I would recommend skipping to the 5:20 mark on the latter because it is the main reason I committed this cartoon to memory.

I forgot to mention yesterday that one of the more prominent surnames in my lineage is "Squire". The contemporary title of Esquire actually derives from the Old English title of Squire. Personally, I think that the name Neil Squire Esquire has a great flow. Also, the Squire family crest (pictured below) prominently features a squirrel (one of my top five favorite casual undomesticated acquaintances).

Another day gone by and I still haven't properly cleaned my room or fully moved all of my belongings into it. Oh well. There is always tomorrow...or the next day.

In other news, this semester grades were posted online and I am a little closer to raising my GPA. If I graduate Sigma Cum Laude (which is highly likely) I might look into graduate school...maybe.

Speak easy,
Neil

No comments: