Monday, January 26, 2009

The Blues


Since the age of 16, I have had many, many roommates. Between college, my brothers, and working as a camp counselor for a couple of years, I am have become quite accustomed to sharing my space with another person. However, there is one flat mate that has stuck out from all the rest. This would be one of the guys I lived with at Umass Dartmouth. Aside from being a hypocrite, a compulsive liar, and an opportunist, he also was one of the most annoying people I've ever met. For the record, I get along with almost everyone. I don't believe I have, have ever had, or will ever have someone who considers me their enemy. One must be a special breed to make my sh*t list. The following is a list of catch phrases that my roommate would repeat ad nauseum.

1. "Everything is going swimmingly."

Despite spending all of his parents' money on drugs and alcohol, in addition to failing most of his classes, everything was always coming up roses.

2. "You're the blues, Neil. That's something that Mick Jagger once said to John Lennon. I don't know what it means but it must be a good thing."

Yes, he repeated this explanation every single time.

3. "I'll do you one better."

For example...
RM - Sorry I ate all of your food while you were home this weekend.
Me - Don't worry about it. Just as long as you replace it.
RM - I'll do you one better. I'll get you two bags of Chex Mix.
Me - Nah, you don't have to.
RM - No, no. I insist.

This would usually turned into "I'd love to pay you back but I don't have much money and I really need to get drunk tonight."

4. Obnoxious Laughter

This is not so much a catch phrase, but more of a terribly annoying habit. For some odd reason he was constantly compelled to laugh at anything that might be construed as funny. He would never do this when he was tired or by himself. I think it was a way to show that he was enjoying himself. Every guffaw* seemed so unnecessary. Just imagine Marty McFly's laugh (a la Back To The Future) if it were spewed out by the late John F. Kennedy.

*I have never typed out or used this word in a sentence but it is really the only way to describe it.

This evening I was watching the film '4 Days, 3 Weeks and 2 Days' while making some flash cards for my French course. I was listening to Romanian, reading English, and writing French. Multitasking can get pretty confusing sometimes.


I really like Autumn and Spring, but sometimes I feel like I could do without Winter. This is how I see it. Man can not survive in the frigid Winter air overnight without an sort of clothing or shelter. If everyone were left in their natural state in these cold January days, no one would survive. Man was not meant to live in cold climates. All the other animals hibernate or migrate or simply cope with the weather. I'm sure there are plenty strong arguments against this notion. I am just being a little cynical because I am getting progressively more exhausted of this season, and the more I tell myself that it is an unnatural state for me to exist in, the more comforted I am to the idea that it is not my fault.

Speak easy,
Neil

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"repeat ad nauseum."

I think you meant, "repeat AT nauseum.."

I loved this edition to your blog,
it was mean in a, "he deserves this"
kind of way.

haha I hope that guy reads it.

Great Blog, look forward to more.

Neil Everett said...

Ad nauseam is a Latin term used to describe an argument that has been continuing "[to the point of] nausea"
~Wikipedia

That was something I actually looked up before hand to make sure I was making the right word choice. Thanks for letting bringing it up though. If there is anything I am trying to work on, it is my grammar. Typos and word misuse can really discredit a text.

Oh, and thank you for reading.